Thursday, May 01, 2008

Obama, Wright, and the Youth Vote

A reader of Andrew Sullivan's blog wrote this about Obama and Rev. Wright...

I'll just put that out there. If Obama is done in by this whole Wright thing I am done with politics. I can't invest myself in something that is so sure to disappoint me time and time and time again. If the Democratic party decides that it can not risk nominating a great and decent African American man because his pastor is a scary African American man, it does not deserve power because it will have caved to what is worst about America. Racists on both sides of the divide will rejoice at having taking down the biggest threat to their belief system since Martin Luther King....and young people like myself will burrow deeper into to the holes we were in before Barack Obama dug us out.
I have to second that.

2 comments:

desmoinesdem said...

Hang on, noneed4thneed, you know that Obama wouldn't be the front-runner today if the media had breathed a word about Reverend Wright last year.

Obama being done in by Wright is no worse than the media-led hit jobs of Biden being done in by a couple of gaffes or Edwards being done in by a $400 haircut.

It's no use crawling under a rock and disengaging from politics just because the media suck.

Anonymous said...

It's not disengaging because "the media suck" so much as it would be disengaging because the american public can't be bothered to understand that the media sucks. The 24/7 news monster has debased the process to the point where flag pins pass for real news, and voters seem to be dumb enough to accept that it is important.

Since just before Texas and Ohio I steadily become less and less enthusiastic about this race. Earlier this weekend I made the point to my mom that I'd love it if Obama just said "I'm done talking about this crap...and no one who works for me will be doing it anymore." Talk about actual issues, or stop talking.