Tuesday, October 02, 2007

New Hampshire Independents Backing Obama Instead of McCain

Political Wire has a post that I thought was very intriguing. It says that independents in New Hampshire that backed John McCain in 2000 and pushed him to victory are now backing Barack Obama in 2008.

"By every indication, these voters, who voted overwhelmingly in 2000 in the Republican primary, have sharply veered Democratic, reflecting growing antiwar sentiment while powering a general shift of the state to the Democratic column" -- "a migration that could knock out a pillar of Mr. McCain's support in 2000."

"While Mr. Obama focuses on appealing to such voters here, aides said a number of other early states where independent voters are allowed to participate in Democratic primaries like South Carolina, Missouri, New Jersey, Minnesota and California."
I had dinner with some relatives from out of town on Saturday. Two of my uncles that were there, who are strong Republicans, both liked Obama. I have heard this from a lot of friends from college who were Bush supporters and are now leaning towards Obama. This support could be a large boost for Obama nationwide.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could be a big factor in NH, I agree.

In general, though, I am skeptical of these Republicans who say now that they like Obama. Remember that the right-wing hate machine has not really put him through the wringer yet. If he were the nominee and faced six to eight months of character assassination on radio and tv, I suspect that a lot of these Republicans would find their way home to voting GOP (or not voting).

I have much less faith in Obama's ability to run a good general-election campaign now than I did six months ago. Aside from his fundraising, which has exceeded expectations, I really don't feel that he has been running a smart, strategic campaign.

desmoinesdem