Tuesday, June 12, 2007

One Vote 08

The One Campaign, founded by Bono and other entertainers, launched an effort on Monday called One Vote 08 to pressure presidential candidates to address global poverty and disease.

Joining the effort is former Senators Tom Daschle (D-SD) and Bill Frist (R-TN). I saw the press conference that was held on CSPAN last night where Daschle, Frist and others spoke. The theme of Tom Daschle's speech is a novel idea when it seems our government is doing the exact opposite. Daschle kept coming back to this quote...

Preach the gospel every day, if necessary use words.
Frist had this to say...
Poverty leads to lack of hope and the type of instability that opens doors to terrorism. But people do not go to war with people who have saved their childrens' lives.

2 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Wow, I never thought I'd hear something like that come out of Bill Frist's mouth!

noneed4thneed said...

I thought the same thing while I was watching it. Frist then talked about the spread of AIDS in Africa and I thought this is the same guy who said AIDS can be spread by tears and saliva. It is good to see him coming around to reality.