Tuesday, May 15, 2007

What's Wrong With those Houses?

Yesterday, my 2nd grade class went on a field trip to Des Moines. We had a great time going through the Science Center and the State Historical Building.

One of my students asked an interesting question on our way to Des Moines when we passed a housing development in one of the eastern Suburbs.

What is wrong with those houses? They all look exactly alike. Who would want to live there?
I just shook my head and said I don't know.


Here's a quote to ponder from James Howard Kunstler...
You have to wonder: have Americans forgotten how to build dignified houses, or are we simply not dignified people anymore?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it neat when your kids ask a question like that which shows they are really thinking? In fact, I asked the same question of my family the other night on a trip up to Ankeny for dinner. This entire region actually has some very unique and beautiful homes of all sizes and types - sometimes we tour neighborhoods just to get a chance to appreciate them.

desmoinesdem said...

Don't get me started on "taupe town." It depresses me to drive through just about any of the newer suburban neighborhoods around Des Moines.

In Urbandale, they are going to let developers take out an oak savanna filled with 200 year old trees to make room for another strip mall. Because we don't have enough of those, apparently.