Thursday, November 09, 2006

Denise O'Brien Says Thanks

Tuesday was a great day for Democrats nationwide and for Democrats in Iowa, but I know a lot of people were disapointed that Denise O'Brien lost her race for Sec. of Agriculture. Denise sent out this email yesterday....

Friends,

We have a lot to be proud of today. We stood strong on important issues. We brought to many Iowans a new vision for Iowa agriculture with new opportunities for rural and urban areas, and we created a network that connected hundreds of thousands of Iowans who already shared that vision. We also showed that a candidate offering new progressive ideas can be strongly competitive in Iowa. I have worked on these issues for most of my life, and I’m not going to stop now.

We ran a strong, positive campaign. I traveled tirelessly and my biodiesel bus reached all 99 counties. In the general election alone, we raised over $350,000 from nearly 1,800 contributors. That’s more than any candidate has ever raised for this race. We finished with 49% of the vote, despite being outspent nearly 2-to-1 by my opponent and a 527 group.

I want to thank my family for all their personal sacrifice, my supporters for their endless work, and the nearly half million Iowans who voted for me. I have been honored to be part of the fight for a better future for rural Iowa.

I am very proud of everyone involved in the campaign. This campaign is about all of you, and our shared vision. There is room in this state for all types of agriculture to succeed while still ensuring that rural Iowa is a great place to live, and a place where new farmers have a chance to thrive. I am gratified that your commitment to this campaign raised these issues to the prominence that they deserve.

I don’t think there has ever been a more exciting time for Iowa agriculture. Opportunity abounds with things like the exploding interest in local, healthy food and the burgeoning demand in renewable fuels. I for one am excited to continue to work to make sure that all Iowa families have a chance to participate in this exciting future. Rural Iowa can be the best place to live and provide all types of farmers a good living. We all need to continue to work together to make sure this possibility becomes a reality.

Finally, let me just say that the faith so many placed in me over this campaign has been humbling. It has been an honor to work with all of you to make this state a better place. And I do look forward to our work in the future.

Thank you all so much.

Sincerely,

Denise

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Denise would have been a great Secretary of Agriculture. I have lost all respect for Farm Bureau after seeing how they feared positive and innovative ideas and worked against that in this campaign. It's time to examine the harmful effects of monoculture. Corn, beans, hogs, cows do not a happy state make. We also need to talk about all the traditonal farmers who speak out against Big Government while pocketing government money.