Saturday, May 20, 2006

Friday Folk Music: Springsteen's "Seeger Sessions"

In this weeks installment of Folk Music Friday I am going to plug, not just one song, but an entire CD. A couple weeks ago I picked up Bruce Springsteen's newest CD called "We Shall Overcome (The Seeger Sessions)." After I first popped the CD in, I wasn't sure what to think. It didn't quite sound like Seeger and it didn't quite sound like Springsteen. The CD has the folk music feel with banjos and fiddles, a coupe songs are Irish Folk songs, and is a little rough around the edges. As I kept listening to it the songs have grown on me. Now I find it is a great CD to listen when your in the mood for some fun, high energy music.

Here is an interview of Springsteen with NPR about the CD...

If Pete Seeger's versions of these songs were spare, sing-along anthems -- often just his sweet, clear voice and his five-string banjo -- these are full-bore rockers. I spot another sign in the audience: "Bruce folkin' rocks."

1 comment:

ChrisMooreMusic said...

I have to admit, as a BIG fan of recent Bruce Springsteen songs, I haven't piked up the Seeger Sessions yet. I really do like cover songs in moderation, but I wasn't sure that I could go a whole album without a Springsteen original. Maybe I'll give it a shot...