Tuesday, July 22, 2008

No Solicitors and Canvassing

Here's a funny story about canvassing from Sean Tevis, a candidate for the Kansas House of Representatives...

Many front doors have a prominent “No Solicitors” sign displayed, which is a nice way of pointing out to hopeful door-to-door salesmen that the door will be shut on their face. Thankfully, as a politician, that sign doesn’t pertain to me as I’m not selling anything. The trick, however, is to let people know that I’m not a solicitor.

I rang one doorbell and heard someone on the other side of the front door. I think they were looking at me through their peephole when I heard a man yell “No solicitors!” without even opening the door. “I’m not a solicitor!” I sort of yelled back through the door. “I’m a politician!”

There was a pause.

I wondered if he had gone away, and then he yelled back, “That’s even worse!”

No comments: