Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Just Because You Were In School 25 Years Ago Doesn't Mean You Know About Education

I am not sure why I headed over to the Neo-corn Blather Boys tonight. Maybe it was the large amounts of cough syrup and cold medicene that I have taken. As I was browsing, I found this post about how ridiculous our education system has become.

As evidence to my opinion may I present Speed Stacks. Last week my son came home from school all excited about make pyramids with plastic cups and then taking them down. The faster the better. This was part of his gym class. Is this how fat our country has gotten? Now stacking a bunch of cups with holes in the bottom constitutes physical activity?
This is another example of someone thinking they know everything about education because they were in school 25 years ago.

The school I work in has a stacking cup unit in PE class. The PE teacher has a couple fun activities that go along with the stacking cups. In one of the activites, each kid has a partner and they race. They have to stack the cups up, then run a lap, and then down stack. The first one done wins. The PE teacher also does relay races that involves running the full length of the gym, stacking the cups, and running back. The kids love the stacking cups and get a workout while using them.

This is just a simple example of why you should not spout off pointless drivel on subjects you have limited knowledge of. You don't see my writing about the proper proportion of pizza sauce on a pizza do you?

Unfortanately, people think they know how the education system should work by comparing it how the education system worked when they were in school.

No comments: