Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Teaching Patriotism

Radloff shared this great story on his blog...

One of my Legion Rider guys noticed a few months ago that the local Head Start (a preschool program for underprivileged children) didn't have any American flags in their three classrooms. I sent out an e-mail to our group and within minutes an anonymous buddy of mine replied with "I'll buy them flags and stands, no problem."

A few weeks later three boxes were delivered to me. Three flags, three stands, three poles... Nice flags, too -- the kind with the gold braid and fringe and an eagle on the top. (I looked it up online -- this guy shelled out over $250 out of his own pocket to buy the flags and give them to children!)

This morning a group of us are taking off work and trekking to neighboring village Le Mars to donate the flags and give the four-year-olds a brief lesson on what the flag represents and the history of the flag. "The children are so excited," the Head Start lady told me on the phone. "They've been practicing a special song for you guys."

Children scare me. Especially when they're in groups. I have NO idea what we're gonna say or how to teach children...

Wish me luck.

No comments: