Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Future of Gas Prices

As I drove by a gas station on the way home from work last night, it hit me how low gas prices have dropped.  I wondered what some Peak Oil people thought of the current oil prices (and the auto bailout for that matter), so I checked out a couple of sites (here and here).

The Oil Drum believes that the low gas prices might not be a good thing at all...
We often hear that "soon" oil prices will hit a bottom, and start shooting back up again. I am less and less certain that this will be the case. Instead, I am concerned that we may on a relentless path to a point far below the point where energy companies can expect to have any chance of making money. We may be on a path toward more and more bankruptcies and defaults of all types--energy companies, owners of commercial real estate, homeowners, financial institutions, auto makers, airlines, and many more. If this is the case, there will be a huge strain on governments, and some may find it necessary to default on their debt.

No comments: