Monday, March 03, 2008

Republican Jarret Heil to Run in Senate District 22

A week ago, I wrote about Republicans having a short time to find a candidate to replace Larry McKibben in Iowa Senate District 22.

On Friday, it was announced that Jarret Heil will be running for the seat on the Republican side. Heil grew up in Marshall County and then after graduating college went to work for Sen. Grassley in Washington DC. In October, Heil got married and moved back to Iowa to work for Rep. Latham.

When asked why he is running for the Iowa Senate Heil said, "I think it is important for people like myself, who benefited from the many opportunities Iowa offered, to give back to the community that gave so much to me."
I went to high school with Jarret and know him pretty well. I find it commendable that a young person moved back to Iowa and is willing to work to better their community.

Heil commented on Iowa's brain drain, a theme that I have written about numerous times...
“Many people leave Iowa after college never to return. I, on the other hand, took a few years to gain valuable experience and knowledge to bring back to a life of public service in the state I love,” Heil said.
In 2004, over $400,000 was spent by both sides for this seat which was won by the Republicans by less than 800 votes.

I will be writing often about this race since I live in this district and because it should be a tight race.

1 comment:

desmoinesdem said...

I hope you'll cross-post what you write at Bleeding Heartland. I am hoping to have good coverage of the state legislative races by people on the ground in the various districts.