Thursday, January 24, 2008

Open Left Interviews Ed Fallon

Matt Stoller at Open Left interviewed Ed Fallon about his primary challenge of Leonard Boswell.

What are your major differences with Boswell?

Iraq. In 2003, Boswell voted for the Iraq War and has supported additional funding with no timetable to bring the troops home. I opposed Bush's war even before it began and believe we need a more diplomatic approach to foreign policy, not just in Iraq but throughout the Middle East.

Energy. In 2005, Boswell voted to provide $14 billion in tax breaks and incentives for oil and gas companies. He also supports greater use of coal. I have been a leader in the fight against government handouts to big businesses. I supports a moratorium on new coal-fired power plants and has helped lead efforts at the state level to fight global warming.

Education. Boswell voted for No Child Left Behind. I have always spoken against this unfunded, ineffective mandate. I believe NCLB should be repealed, or at a minimum severely overhauled.

Civil Liberties. Boswell supported the PATRIOT Act, and in August 2007, voted for a bill to increase warrantless surveillance on the American people. Iowa's other Democratic Congressmen, Bruce Braley and Dave Loebsack, voted against it. I have a long track record of working to expand, rather than constrict, civil rights and personal liberties.

Trade. In November 2007, Boswell joined Congressmen Steve King and Tom Latham - both Republicans - to vote for a NAFTA-like trade agreement with Peru. I am a vocal opponent of NAFTA and other so-called "free" trade agreements and believe in fair trade that protects American jobs, our environment and workers' safety.

Clean Elections. Boswell accepts donations from PACs and lobbyists. Of the $600,167 he raised between February and September 2007, nearly 75% came from PACs. During my 14 years as a state representative and when I ran for governor, I refused donations from PACs and lobbyists and I won't accept them in his Congressional campaign either.

Boswell has a large advantage in money, hopefully this interview is a sign that Fallon can get some support via the netroots.

No comments: