Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Family and Politics Mix Over the Holidays in Iowa

Even though the campaigns took a short break over the Christmas, I was surprised by how much politics was discussed at the various get togethers I attended. Politics was a hot topic at every family gathering and at my work's and my wife's work's Holiday parties.

With the caucuses happening so close to the holidays, it gave me a chance to talk to family, friends, and co-workers about a topic that is usually taboo at these type of gatherings. The interesting thing was that I wasn't planning on discussing politics at these events, but people know I am active in politics and wanted to talk. I found myself discussing immigration, the role of religion in politics, and the need for universal health care with people who identify themselves as Republicans. There were some disagreements, but there were also some commonalities that were agreed upon.

At one get together, My wife (a precinct captain for Obama) convinced some longtime Republicans to caucus for Obama because there wasn't a Republican they were enthusiastic about, they didn't want Hillary to win, and they had favorable opinions of Obama.

I'd like to hope that I might have talked at least a couple of people that didn't plan on caucusing to go caucus.

2 comments:

Kyle Lobner said...

With my family being in Wisconsin, I spent a lot of my holidays talking politics as well, answering questions like "So what exactly is a caucus?" and "What did Huckabee to that turned people on and off so quickly?" Stepping outside really made me realize the national attention that's focused on Iowa once every four years.

Anonymous said...

In the interests of full disclosure, it should be noted that some of the more the more "conservative" members of the family weren't present for the political discussions in question.