Monday, July 16, 2007

Summarizing the Republcian Field

I noticed last night that most of my posts over the weekend were about Republicans. So after this post, I will try to lay off the Republican for awhile.

Rolling Stone posted this last week that summarizes the downside of the candidates in the Republican field. Tim Dickinson writes...

Rudy’s top advisers are into coke, hookers, race baiting and flattening Persia.

John McCain has less money than Ron Paul and just fired (as in axed) his campaign’s top guns, leaving him essentially dead in the water.

Fred Thompson, the supposed Christianist savior, was by all indications a lobbyist for an abortion group in the ’90s, and a mole for Nixon during Watergate.

And Mitt Romney has become such a poster child for inconstancy, that he gets ribbed for it on SportsCenter.

I just don’t see it: How does any of these jokers get nominated?

My money’s on Mitt right now. Especially now that McCain’s search-and-destroy oppo-research master Terry Nelson has left the building.

Am I wrong?

Dickinson forgot this quote from Fred "Hollywood" Thompson that won't play well among Evangelicals...
I was single for a long time, and, yep, I chased a lot of women. And a lot of women chased me. And those that chased me tended to catch me.
No wonder Republicans aren't happy with their candidates. It seems the second tier of Huckabee, Brownback, and Tancredo haven't made huge splashes nationally and haven't been able to move up.

My prediction is that by October McCain will drop out, the dirt on Fred Thompson will come out and his hype will have diminished, and Newt Gingrich will enter the race. Conservatives will coalesce around Gingrich because he is conservative and there is no one else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Over at Iowa Independent Deeth pointed out that McCain can't drop out before January, because he needs the federal matching funds to pay off his campaign debts.

If Thompson fizzles, my money is on one of the second-tier conservatives. I don't see Romney or Rudy surviving the GOP primaries.

desmoinesdem