Friday, June 08, 2007

Latham Moves to Ames... A Year Ago

The Des Moines Register reported today that Rep. Tom Latham has moved to Ames from his home in Alexander, in rural Franklin County.

Interesting story, but I wrote almost a year ago on June 12th, 2006 that Latham has purchased a home in Ames.

I have heard that Rep. Tom Latham has recently purchased a home in Ames and will be moving there this summer. Supposedly this is going to be a longterm home, but I doubt that. To me this seems like he wants to move into Selden Spencer's backyard to help with campaigning.
It seems my conclusion was correct. The Register gives this reason for the move...
But the congressman said they opted to move to Ames because the city is closer to their grandchildren and more central for his travels around the 4th District, which stretches from Warren and Madison counties south of Des Moines to Allamakee County in the far northeast.
The Register than attempts to spin the story into a possible race between Tom Harkin and Latham for Senate in 2008. I would love to see this happen, but doubt it will. Latham only $214,000 cash on hand, while Harkin raised over $1 million last quarter.

No comments: