Sunday, March 18, 2007

Jesus Camp

I just watched Jesus Camp, a documentary about an evangelical children's minister who runs a bible camp in North Dakota. I highly recommend watching this movie. Jesus Camp really shows how the far right fundamentalist Christians think and how they are trying to tear down the the separation of church and state.

I have nothing wrong with people enthusiastically practicing their religion. However, there were 2 things that shocked me in Jesus Camp. First, the emphasis on preaching to children in this movie borders indoctrination, rather than simply practicing their religion. The parts that really hit me was when the family said the pledge of alligence to the Christian flag and the boy saying he was reborn when he was 5 because his life wasn't fulfilling. I find it hard to believe that a 5 year old can be reborn. The second thing that shocked me was the scene when they were breaking the cups with a hammer in hopes to "break the power of the enemy over our government in the name of Jesus." This shows the disregard the religous right has of our founding principle of separation of church and state.

Here is the movie's trailer...



and here is a piece that ABC News did on the movie...



I don't even know what to say about the kids worshipping the cardboard cutout of George W. Bush, so here is a clip...

No comments: