Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hop on Board the Straight Talk Express

This is pretty amazing that a person running for President would give this bad of answer to a question. Here is an exchange that took place this week at an event in Iowa. From DailyKos...

In yet another example of straight talk from John McCain, here's his take on contraceptives and HIV/AIDS prevention:

Q: "What about grants for sex education in the United States? Should they include instructions about using contraceptives? Or should it be Bush’s policy, which is just abstinence?"

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) "Ahhh. I think I support the president’s policy."

Q: "So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?"

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) "You’ve stumped me."

Q: "I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?"

Mr. McCain: (Laughs) "Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it."

Q: "But you would agree that condoms do stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Would you say: ‘No, we’re not going to distribute them,’ knowing that?"

Mr. McCain: (Twelve-second pause) "Get me Coburn’s thing, ask Weaver to get me Coburn’s paper that he just gave me in the last couple of days. I’ve never gotten into these issues before."

He's not sure if condoms can stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases? Is he really that stupid or just willing to look that way in his ongoing effort to pander to the Republican base?

Add this questions to his tar baby comment and it is easy to tell why McCain is falling in the polls.

McCain is torn between doing what he has done his entire career and pandering to the right-wing fringe that holds the noose around the Republican Party's neck. It has gotten so bad, the old man doesn't know what he thinks anymore.

3 comments:

T.M. Lindsey said...

ce again, it looks like mcCain has found himself in a tar baby of a situation. Let's see how long he'll stick to the right.

Anonymous said...

Someone in Ames asked McCain whether he'd end "extraordinary rendition" and have the Military Commissions Act repealed.

He said he would end rendition, and he'd close Guantanamo. He spoke strongly against torture but didn't say anything about the MCA, which resulted from a "compromise" he was part of.

Anonymous said...

Oh, please please please send me a link to the source of this information! I'm doing a report on sex education for school, and I need credible sources. Blogdspot isn't considered credible by the school's criteria, so I would greatly appreciate it if you sent me the source.

Here's my email address: fairyforce@msn.com

Thank you so much!