Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Alford Gone!

I know this isn't politics, but it is pretty big news in the state of Iowa. ESPN is reporting that Alford is close to signing a deal to leave Iowa and coach at New Mexico.

From ESPN...

Sources said Alford was looking for a school that is passionate about basketball first and foremost after being at a football-first school.
My first semester at the University of Iowa was in the fall of 99. That same year Iowa had a new football coach and a new basketball coach. No one was saying that Iowa was a football school in the fall of 99. Everyone was excited about Alford and were saying Kirk who? Now Alford wants to get away from a football-first school?

Being in Iowa City for the first few years of Alford's tenure, I heard too many stories that soured my view of Alford as a person and his performance on the court didn't do much to help. If on Friday, New Mexico names Alford their head coach, I know I am not the only one in Iowa that will be cheering.

1 comment:

T.M. Lindsey said...

There is a God, and thank God it's not Alford!