Saturday, January 13, 2007

I Really Want to Like Chris Dodd in 2008

This week Connecticut Senator Chris Dodd announced he was running for President in 2008. I really want to be able to get behind his candidacy, but I am not sure if I can. Let me explain...

When it comes down to issues, Dodd is way better than a lot of the other candidates. Dodd has been a strong progressive voice in the Senate on many issues. Here is a look at some of those (in no particular order)...

  • He is strong on education. Dodd has introduced an legislation to fix NCLB that has been endorsed by the NEA.
  • He has a strong record against free trade. Dodd voted against CAFTA and knows that “the best social program is a good job” and sees that free trade is shipping American jobs overseas.
  • He is outspoken against Iraq. In December, he called for the withdrawl of troops from Iraq. Then this week in the Foreign Relations committee, Dodd had this to say to Sec of State Rice.

    Isn’t it the State Department’s job to engage in this debate and win the world over, or at least try? Instead we’ve had year after year of inaction, bellicose rhetoric, a categorical refusal to ask for help, to work collectively, to engage—and what has it bought us?

    How weakened is our standing in the world and our support from foreign peoples? How many tools have we thrown away? How safe are we now?

    Madam Secretary: We have arrived at a moment of choice. We can choose to continue down the road we are on, one that has produced divided, angry allies and strong, emboldened enemies. Or, we can dramatically alter our journey with the first steps beginning a new direction in our policy in Iraq – robust diplomacy within Iraq and with Iraq’s neighbors to promote dialogue and reconciliation.
    Yes, he did vote for the war, but, unfortanately, it is looking like it there won't be many people running who didn't support the war at the beginning.
  • He introduced legislation to restore Habeus Corpus rights taken away in the Military Commissions Act (also known as the Torture Bill).
  • He voted against Sam Alito's nomination to the Supreme Court.
  • He has experience in the Senate. He helped enact the Family and Medical Leave Act, and pushed pay-as-you-go legislation and campaign finance reform.
So what are my reservations about Dodd as a candidate?
  • He has experience in the Senate. He has a lot of votes that can be twisted and turned and used against him. We saw this with John Kerry and it will be used against Dodd too.
  • He is from the Northeast. He will be seen as a Northeast elite by many in the midwest and mountain west, both areas that Democrats need to make gains if they are going win the control of the White House. If Dodd was from Minnesota or New Mexico then I might be more interested in his candidacy.
The negatives that I see in Dodd's campaign could also be said with Joe Biden's campaign. Dodd is way better when it comes to the issues than Joe Biden is. If the candidate's positions were the only thing that mattered then Dodd would be at the top of my list. However, when you look at the other things, I think it is a lot for Dodd to overcome.

With all of that said, I am glad that Chris Dodd is in the race. He will be pushing important progressive issues that might not otherwise be discussed. Democrats made gains in 2006 by pushing many of these issues. If the other candidates ignore them, Dodd could gain traction.

I saw Dodd campaigning for Chet Culver and Dave Loebsack back in September. Check out my report and watch Dodd's announcement video. Then chime in with your thoughts.

4 comments:

desmoinesdem said...

I was a precinct captain for Kerry in 2003 and 2004, but God help us if we nominate another senator from the NE. I'm looking elsewhere, even though Dodd seems like a decent guy.

T.M. Lindsey said...

I, too, got a chance to hear Chris Dodd speak at the JCD BBQ and was impressed with his speaking ability and where he stood, and currently stands on progressive issues.

You're right, on paper Dodd looks great, but I have my reservations as well. I'm a firm believer that voters need to choose who they think best represents their values (not who they perceive to be "electable"), but my idealism has been a wee bit squelched in the past two Democratic primaries. I don't think the best Democratic candidate won in either the race for gIowa's Governor or the President.

With this in mind, I'm definately not ruling Dodd out, although he'll need to be pretty impressive to break my top two Democratic choices at this point.

Tyler Schipper said...

Although I didn't really like his appearance at the Inauguration, because I thought it was very politically motivated, Dodd has perked my interest as well. When I watched his announcment clip, I was really glad to hear that he had served in the Peace Corps, which to me someone who actually cares about other countries and people in the world. I think everyone should continue to keep an eye on Dodd as he develops his presidential run.

Anonymous said...

Chris Dodd is my senator and a terrific one at that. I am pleased by his run and while I think he would make an excellent president bring a keen intellect, strong ideals and years of experience I too earn for more (greedy aren't we). I really want to see a dynamic ticket that will crush any Republicans and I don't know that Dodd at the top would bring that. Although I'd love to see him as someone's VP :)