Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Day After the Immigration Raid

I am a 2nd grade teacher in Marshalltown. Yesterday, I had 2 Hispanic students pulled out of class early. There was one Hispanic student who was still waiting to be picked up at 5:00 when I left.

This morning one of my students, who left early the day before, came up to me and told me that he had to leave because the police came to take his dad to jail. He said his dad was hiding and didn't have to go to jail. I asked if his dad was at home last night and he said he was.

Then I had another student tell me that his dad didn't have papers, but was at home and is ok. He then asked me why the police want them to go back to Mexico.

I am glad that both of these students are able to go home to a stable situation, at least for the shortwhile.

Seeing these young children try to grasp this situation makes me want to ask why do the police want them to go back to Mexico?

**Update**
KCCI has a story about what went on at one of the middle schools in town, which included this quote from the Principal...

"Without question, Geoff, the No. 1 concern among our students is, 'Will the ICE folks be coming to school to check for students?' We can assure students that that will not be happening."

No comments: