Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Loebsack Gets Some National Recognition

Dave Loebsack received some praise in a post on Down With Tyranny, a national blog that gets over 3,000 hits a day. The post is about the new Congressman in Washington going through orientation. It is good to see this unlikely Congressman getting noticed. Here is what the post had to say about Loebsack...

Finally, here's one story I can't resist passing along:
David Loebsack, 53, a political science professor from Iowa, is another improbable congressman. The Democrat who had never before won public office defeated 15-term Rep. Jim Leach (R). Yesterday, Loebsack was absorbing the notion that he would be making public policy instead of studying it.

"I grew up in poverty with a single mom who had mental illness," Loebsack said. "If anyone had told me I'd grow up to teach at Cornell College with a Ph.D., I would have thought they were crazy. If anyone had told me that I would get elected to Congress, I would have thought they were from another planet. I'm living proof of the American dream."
Welcome to Washington, Dave. It sounds like you and many of your fellow freshmen may be just what the town needs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Welcome to Washington, Dave. It sounds like you and many of your fellow freshmen may be just what the town needs."

Or they could watch their idealism wither and die due to the corruption. Sorry, that is my pessimism coming to the surface. I truly hope that these freshman will come in and create some positive progressive change. Here is hoping these people find a way to rise above the filth while actually getting things done.

noneed4thneed said...

At least Loebsack's campaign was funded largely by people and not special interests.