Friday, October 27, 2006

Fallon on Economic Developement

Got an email from Ed Fallon today...

I remain greatly concerned about the direction state government is taking regarding economic dI evelopment. The Iowa Values Fund costs taxpayers $50 million annually, yet I see very little proof that it’s getting the kinds of results its backers promise.

Last week, the Iowa Department of Economic Development (IDED) reported that companies receiving assistance from the Iowa Values Fund had pledged to create and retain 30,000 jobs statewide. What’s been pledged and what’s actually being created are miles apart.


This week, after months of extensive analysis of Values Fund progress reports, I submitted my third open records request of 2006 to IDED. The request asks for clarification on a number of ambiguous or confusing points in IDED’s data, including claims about job growth and wage levels. I submitted a similar request in April, with five pages of detailed questions. IDED promptly “answered” that letter, yet provided no real information, and requested that I re-organize my questions. This seems like nothing more than an effort to stall or stonewall me.


Over the past three years, I’ve spoken and written at length about why I think the Iowa Values Fund is wrong-headed. By spending millions of taxpayer dollars annually and refusing to provide program transparency, IDED presents a rosy picture of expenses that are difficult for the public to independently analyze and justify. At my request, State Auditor David Vaudt has agreed to audit the Values Fund, and I hope that effort will lead to greater clarity and exposure.

For details about this recent communication with IDED, check out my website, Fallonforgovernor.net, where I’ve posted copies of the most recent letter to IDED, and other files of note.


Thanks for reading,

Ed Fallon


Upcoming events where I’ll speak or perform music

Thursday, October 26

Fundraiser for Susan Radke, candidate for Iowa House

720 Duff Ave , Ames

6:00 – 7:30 p.m.


Tuesday, October 31

Des Moines Public School Board Meeting

Discussion about redevelopment of Rice School site

Hiatt Middle School , 1214 E. 15th Street , Des Moines

6:00 p.m.


Thursday, November 2

Get Out the Vote Rally

Pedestrian Mall, corner of Dubuque and Washington streets, Iowa City

5:30 p.m.


Saturday, November 4

Tama County Democrats GOTV event

Eagles Hall, 112 E 3rd Street , Tama

6:30 p.m.


Sunday, November 5

“Stop the War With Words and Music”

Ritual Café, on 13th Street between Grand and Locust avenues

3:00 – 6:00 p.m.

No comments: