Saturday, August 05, 2006

Centrism is for Suckers (or the Sierra Club and NEA get swindled)

I didn't say it, NY Times columnist Paul Krugman did in his column yesterday. The article takes a different look at centrism than the David Sirota piece I wrote about in June, but it still provides an important conclusion.

The fact is that in 1994, the year when radical Republicans took control both of Congress and of their own party, things fell apart, and the center did not hold. Now we’re living in an age of one-letter politics, in which a politician’s partisan affiliation is almost always far more important than his or her personal beliefs. And those who refuse to recognize this reality end up being useful idiots for those, like President Bush, who have been consistently ruthless in their partisanship.
Here in Iowa we don't have to look far for an example. In the 2nd District, the Sierra Club and the NEA has endorsed Republican Jim Leach (Yes, I am a member of both groups). It is true that Leach probably does have a decent record on the environment and education. However, if Leach wins, he helps keep a Republican majority in the House, keeps Dennis Hastert as Speaker, and the rightwing of the Republican Party will continue to dismantle our environmental laws and leave all are children behind.

Dave Loebsack has come out with strong positions on the environment and education and to think that he wouldn't do just as good of job protecting the environment and improving education as Leach is ridiculous. Loebsack is an educator for pete's sake (it might be more fitting to change the saying to "for Hastert's sake" in this case).

The Sierra Club and NEA have become, as Krugman says, useful idiots by backing the Leach/Hastert ticket in this race.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a teacher who resides in the second district I was appauled when I heard the NEA endorsed Leach. I don't belong to the district's Educator Association, nor do I belong to the NEA, for I cannot afford, both literally and metaphorically, to belong to organizations that don't represent my ideologies. The endorsement of Leach is just one instance of poor decision making. Nonetheless I have my work cut out for me when school starts back up. Dismantling Leach-speak and convincing my colleagues why Loesback is the only option will be a worthy mission. In the process, if I have to take down our centrist-populated association and the local NEA contingency, I have no qualms in doing so. It's time to return the Democratic Party to the people. Keep up the good work with the Feingold blog; he's definately the frontrunner thus far.