Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Problem with Ethanol

I saw this on State 29 and it sums up my concersn with ethanol.We put so much petroleum products onto our crops and use oil to make the stuff that the amount of fuel we create is a loss. Fortanately, we can change that by altering the way we grow crops, make ethanol out of another crop (such as switchgrass) and using more solar and wind energy for power. However, because of the amount of petroleum it takes to make ethanol now, I think biodiesel is better option.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that piece too and so I took a little bit of time to study the issue. There are dozens of studies available that counter this argument against ethanol. (Of course, studies are easily manipulated and so I am always wary of almost anything I see.) According to several studies I found, great strides have been made in recent years to make farming practices more energy efficient. In most cases, ethanol does produce net energy. Sustainable farming practices are also helpful in reducing the need for fertilizer and pesticides. I think this is a worthwhile topic to discuss, but I don't think it's cut and dry when it comes to the notion that ethanol is a zero-sum solution to our energy problems.

Anonymous said...

In response to bacon pointing out that studies can be manipulated... my position is more simple, and not based on any pro/con study: food is for eating, not for cars. If global capitalism is in such dire shape that we need to use human food for the wheels of industry, then something is wrong.

Anonymous said...

I would recommend that people use less, but I'm afraid of being accused of hating America.

noneed4thneed said...

Bacon-
I am not saying ethanol is a loser and we should stop investing in it. In order to get the most out of ethanol, we need to be aware of how we grow the crops we use to make it.

Also, the first thing that needs to be said when discussing energy independence is conservation.