Sunday, April 30, 2006

Speaking Truthiness to Power

Last night Stephen Colbert (official site, Colbert Nation, Colbert Report Wikipedia #1 and #2) spoke at the White House Correspondent Dinner and it was great. Colbert's played his role to perfection and no one was safe from his jabs. It was just like his show, except the people were in the room. Colbert sure has some brass balls.

Some of his jokes were not getting many laughs in the room, but my wife and I sure were at home. Speaking of my wife, she is very moderate and unfortanately she voted for Bush, she doesn't like Colbert's show, but was cracking up watching it last night.

Here is a great writeup on Colbert's performace. You can download it from Crooks and Liars or check CSPAN for a replay. And a taste of Colbert's speech about the President...

Now, I know there’s some polls out there saying this man has a 32% approval rating. But guys like us, we don’t pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in “reality.” And reality has a well-known liberal bias.

So, Mr. President, pay no attention to the people that say the glass is half full. 32% means the glass — it’s important to set up your jokes properly, sir. Sir pay no attention to the people who say the glass is half empty, because 32% means it’s 2/3 empty. There’s still some liquid in that glass is my point, but I wouldn’t drink it.

The last third is usually backwash. Folks, my point is that I don’t believe this is a low point in this presidency. I believe it is just a lull, before a comeback.

Colbert describes himself as "A journalist with gravitas... with dignity... with balls." ("And I'm not afraid to use them"). He sure isn't. Thanks for speaking truthiness to power, Mr. Colbert!

**Update**
Tell Colbert thank you yourself by visiting this site and leaving a comment!

No comments: