Saturday, April 22, 2006

People-Powered Politics

I got home not too long ago from a House Party that I helped organize for the Ed Fallon for Governor campaign. A group of 4 of us put this house party together in a weeks time, making phone calls, food, and sending postcards in the mail. All in all, we invited around 140 people. We had 39 people show up. It was a great time. Ed came, gave a great speech, and chatted with the people there. The people we invited were mainly undecideds coming in, but I know of quite a few who made up their minds at the event to support Ed. It was great to see people taking yard signs and bumperstickers home with them. We also raised a nice chunk of money. It was a great time for everyone.

A lot of the people there told me that they really appreciated Fallon coming and wish they would get a chance to meet all of the candidates. I think this is Fallon's 6th trip to town. I would be surprised if the other candidates have been here more than 2 or 3 times. I have found a lot of people who are undecided still and the personal contact with the candidate can go a long way in persuading voters. That is the basis of Fallon's campaign. I kind of get the feeling that other candidates are waiting for the last month to air their ads. Iowa voters are smarter than that. Ed will have some TV and radio, but it is House Parties like the one tonight that will get people out to vote.

No comments: