Friday, March 10, 2006

Catching up on issues: Touchplay and Education Funding

Since I just started the blog yesterday, I thought I would catch up on discussing issues going on in the state by talking about 2 of them in one post.

It seems every Iowa blog has talked about the Touchplay machines. I don't like them. I don't know much about them, but I know there is already too much gambling in the state.

Also being discussed in funding for education. So why not solve both problems by taking the Touchplay machines out of the conveniance stores and sticking them into the school cafeterias where the pop machines used to be. There would be 2 advantages (and since I am in a hurry, I won't talk about the disadvantages). First, the money from the Touchplay machines can be used by the schools where the machines are located. Second, it might actually get parents to come into the classroom and visit the school. "Hey, come volunteer for an hour and get an hour on the Touchplay machine!"

The idea of winning big with gambling is just as good as the idea of basing school quality and teacher pay on one standardized test. So lets combine the two and see our schools struggle some more.

For some more in depth analysis of the touchplay issue check out Political Forecast, Who's Making Bacon, and the conservative viewpoint from Krsuty.

No comments: